Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Slang That Blows Vol. 2: My Bad


Mr. BLACK
I think I'm the only person that this piece of urban shit annoys, but I'm going to bitch about it anyway. After doing a little research in where this stupid cringe-inducing slang came from, I found that it originally popped into existence somewhere around 1970. Following that, it was first in print in "Back-in-your-face Guide to Pick-up Basketball" by C. Wielgus and A. Wolff:

"My bad, an expression of contrition uttered after making a bad pass or missing an opponent."

Further, it was apparently popularized by the movie, Clueless in the mid 90's, which is about the time I remember first hearing it in high school (no I never saw the movie). Here is the source where I found all the information if you're interested.

This was also around the same time I remember hearing utterances of "The Bomb" which has pretty much died out, although I do hear it from time to time and it still makes my balls hurt when I do. I don't think Mr. White will have much to say about this as I've heard him say it a few times, he likes to consider himself hip to the mainstream fuckulace. Generally, when it comes to language I try to be as logical as possible when criticizing it, but this one feels like a gut punch every time I hear it. First of all, I'm not a big fan of cross-cultural slang mixing. You just look like a fucking fool if you're a white guy and go around saying "nigga." Just as much a fool when you're white and go around in matching head to toe red urban gear.

Many people have said this is a racist remark, but I disagree, it just makes you look like you're trying to be a part of something you shouldn't be. I'm sure all the "bruthas" out there find it kind of weird and awkward when they're at the latest rap show and a bunch of white dudes show up doing the pimp walk. So it may seem like I'm digressing a little right? Not really, because as stated previously, the phrase "my bad" was first uttered in a basketball environment, which statistically has a majority of black participants. The term isn't as culturally awkward as something like "nigga" but it really really really sounds fucking stupid to me when I hear it come out of the mouth of an upper class white guy.

I'd be perfectly fine hearing it uttered in a basketball match when someone threw a bad pass. Whatever happened to "my fault"? It means exactly the same thing, doesn't make you sound like a douche, and doesn't take any more syllables to say. I just don't get it. It could be our nation's fierce adoption of anything urban, who knows. All I know is I die a little inside every time I hear it.

No comments: