Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Exposure : The Goon

Mr. Black
I've gotten back into comics recently, partly due to the influence of Mr. White. I used to really be into it as a kid, but slowly drifted away even though I still liked what comics represented. Hellboy was probably my more mature foray back into the realm of comics, but recently I've discovered The Goon.

The Goon is funny, pulpy (not like the juice), and violent. It's filled to the brim with one-liners (knife to the eye!), zombies, and good old head-smashing fun. It follows the story of a man known only as The Goon and his sidekick Franky who have been pals every since childhood. They keep order in town and always keep the main villain, the zombie priest, in check on Lonely St. to make sure his reach doesn't extend too far. It's kind of a mafia meets Hellboy tale. You have the horror/folklore aspects of Hellboy and the 1930's noir vibe of an old mafia movie.

Eric Powell, the creator, writer, and artist started The Goon independently in a market dominated by superheroes. In little time people saw the merit and originality of The Goon and it became a cult classic.

The artwork is something that is completely unique as well. In a world filled with clean inked lines and vibrant photoshop colorwork, The Goon sets itself apart. It's a combination of ink, sketch, and watercolor-like muted tones. Every panel could nearly be set aside as a work of art, similar to the brilliant composition Mike Mignola brings to Hellboy. I find myself starting at the artwork longer than I normally would in a comic.

And the most awesome thing of all is it's being made into a feature animated film produced by David Fincher and animated by the famous Blur Studio. I'll stop talking now and just leave you with the trailer. Not since Hellboy have I seen a property be completely brought to life on screen. C'mon, Paul Giamatti and Clancy Brown? Couldn't have been more perfect. Okay, I'll stop now.

No comments: