Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Running Wilde: Running from the funny

Mr. Black
How do you make a television show not funny with Will Arnett, David Cross, and producer Mitchell Hurwitz? I would have thought it impossible, but apparently I was very very wrong. If you aren't aware of any of these people they are a small chunk of one of the best comedies to ever be on the air: Arrested Development. I can't say enough good things about that show, the cast, the writing, the originality. How could something like Running Wilde come out of that I have no idea.

The premise of Running Wilde is fairly typical: rich kid wants to get back childhood love, but they are from two completely different worlds, sound familiar? Will Arnett plays the typical rich guy who hasn't had to work a day in his life because of daddy's trust fund. Keri Russell plays the complete opposite: a woman living in South America trying to save a tribe from the greed of capitalist America. She ends up going to Arnett's fake humanitarian award ceremony for himself and with after a few stupid indians in a pool she decides to stay because her kid, Puddle, an ugly young boy played by Stefania Owen doesn't want to live in the jungle any more.

I think the only time I came close to laughing was when Fa'ad, Arnett's equally spoiled and equally rich neighbor shows up on a tiny horse. It happens fairly early in the pilot so I had high hopes. Unfortunately that's where it ends. You'll find no clever narrative, no great characterization by Arnett, and even David Cross's quirky performance comes off as forced an unoriginal.

There have only been two episodes aired, but the second episode being worse than the pilot usually isn't a good sign. I may stick around for a couple of more episodes, but I don't see this show going anywhere. It's a completely flat and typical comedy written for the retarded masses. The only thing I can believe is that Fox must have pushed Hurwitz in such a way as to write something that was trash.

I really wanted this show to be good and had nothing but high hopes for it. Maybe my expectations were too high, I'm not sure, but I doubt we'll see a second season of this unless it does a complete 180. Oh well, at least we have Hurwitz doing an Arrested Development movie.

No comments: